Friday, March 31, 2023

A Book That Can Not Be Read

A Book That Can Not Be Read
     by Vito del Valle

There is a book in the library
     that can not be read
A book filled with truth
     and sins of the past
A book so callous
     to be covered in lies
A book filled with stories
     of spilt blood and hate

There is a book at the bookstore
     that can not be bought
A book behind the counter
     and only by special order
A book about bombs
     the instructions are included
For a book, they'll card you
     you'll be put on a list

There is a book in the fire
     that can no longer be read
A book burning bright
     with the ideas it had
A book turned to ashes
     that blow in the wind
Now a book to remember
     and to share it's gift

Note: This poem was written last year, 5/23/22. It was my thoughts on hearing about books being banned in red states. I also thought about when, back in the nighties, I bought The Anarchist's Cookbook from Walden books. I had to special order it and they took my ID when I got it. 
I also posted this so I could test the formatting on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment