Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Alone And Scared - NaPoWriMo Day 19

 Alone And Scared
     by Vito del Valle

Summer 1977.
West Texas.
Hot and dry.
Dirt roads and cottonfields.
Migrant farm workers, 
     working the fields.
6 years old,
     they left me alone.
A creaky empty house,
     in the middle of nowhere.
So scared,
     of the house,
     of the wind,
     of the cottonfields.
I couldn't move.
I'd lie on the floor frozen.
A black and white T.V.,
     was no comfort.
I'd cry and cry,
     but there was no one there,
     to listen.
I could hear my heartbeat,
     in my throat.
6 years old,
alone,
and scared.

Note: On prompt kinda. No monsters, just fear of being left alone as a kid. I never forgave my parents for doing that to me. It's why I choose to be alone most of the time. I talk about it a lot in therapy. Poem #106 for the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment