Monday, April 10, 2023

Pretend I'm Dead - NaPoWriMo Day 10

 Pretend I'm Dead
     by Vito del Valle

Today my head feels like a wrecking ball.
Damn, did I throw myself against the wall?
     I can not remember all that I drank, 
     I try to recall but my mind goes blank.
Too dizzy to stand, so I guess I'll crawl.

My pen is moving, it knows what to write.
All the stories and lies I told last night.
     There was no one here to pour me a drink,
     I drink alone because it helps me think.
Everyone is wrong, I know that I'm right.

My only friend is the pain in my head, 
He tells me to hide and pretend I'm dead.
     I've trained myself to survive through the day,
     With a drink here and there, it all goes my way.
To face the world sober fills me with dread.

Note: Off prompt. I'm hungover, so I wrote about being an alcoholic. I embellished a lot. Poem #97 for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment