Thursday, April 6, 2023

Words To Be Said - NaPoWriMo Day 6

 Words To Be Said
     by Vito del Valle

When I used to live in the big city
There were nights when I couldn't sleep
I'd go out for a coffee and a pack of cigarettes
Walk around telling myself promises I'd never keep
Like one day I'd write a novel as good as The Stand
Or a book of poetry like Love Is a Dog from Hell
But I moved back home to my boring little town
Back to the empty streets I knew too well
Years later, I sit alone in my broken home
Smoking too much, drinking too much, thinking too much
Of the times I was too close to the flame
Remembering, I could have been a such and such
Now, I'm a lonely man sending out submissions
The rejections make me numb, make me stubborn and drunk
Till the final day comes, I'll keep writing
Because there's still words to be said from this old punk.

Note: Off prompt. I was feeling broody today after going to therapy, after visiting my mom at the nursing home. I've been writing a poem a day since the beginning of the year, sometimes it turns into journaling. Poem #93 for the year.

1 comment: